Thursday, December 14, 2006

There are lot of trout (species) to catch...

If you take a look at Dave's Lifetime Species List at his very nice Fly Fishing for Native Trout blog you can surely see that there are lot of trout species.

A few years ago I decided that my Lifetime Fly Fishing Agenda includes fishing,and hopefully catching, a wide range of different native trout species. The thing is that there are actually one native trout species in Finland: the Brown Trout (Salmo Trutta) and I have pretty well covered that by now. However I'm willing to count Arctic Char (Salvelinus alpinus) as a trout, but they can only be found in Lapland and I haven't fished them yet. There are stocked Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout and Lake Trout here but I don't really count them to my list as they are not native when fished here.

However, most of the trout species come from North America and that's where I must be heading at some point of my life.


Small creek in Eastern Finland
From Misc 2006

7 comments:

Ed. said...

Hey I'm glad you posted Dave's list, I had come across that a while ago and I didn't bookmark it and had no idea how to get back to it. It is very cool to catch different species of trout, and it seems to take a subtle, well-trained eye to identify a lot of them.

If you come to the American east, we can try and get you (and me) a native brook trout.

opax said...

Writing down:
Native Brook Trout, Virginia, Ed.

Ed. said...

I better start doing some research then!

opax said...

:-)

Unless I win in lottery or something, it will take few years before I'll be there.

Jay said...

How about grayling? There are graylings in Finland?

Mike said...

Hi Opax, sorry for hi-jacking your comments, but I'm hereby passing the batton of self-discovery on to you, after Alistair over at The River Kelvin passed it to me. The point is you're supposed to make a post detailing 5 things about yourself that your excited blog reader's won't know. Feel free to ignore, or take part. Have a nice day mate.

opax said...

Jay: grayling - and whitefish as well - are good fish and they can be found here, and I also have them covered.

Mike: Ok, you asked for it...