Thursday, December 14, 2006

There are lot of trout (species) to catch...

If you take a look at Dave's Lifetime Species List at his very nice Fly Fishing for Native Trout blog you can surely see that there are lot of trout species.

A few years ago I decided that my Lifetime Fly Fishing Agenda includes fishing,and hopefully catching, a wide range of different native trout species. The thing is that there are actually one native trout species in Finland: the Brown Trout (Salmo Trutta) and I have pretty well covered that by now. However I'm willing to count Arctic Char (Salvelinus alpinus) as a trout, but they can only be found in Lapland and I haven't fished them yet. There are stocked Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout and Lake Trout here but I don't really count them to my list as they are not native when fished here.

However, most of the trout species come from North America and that's where I must be heading at some point of my life.

Small creek in Eastern Finland
From Misc 2006

7 comments:

Ed. said...

Hey I'm glad you posted Dave's list, I had come across that a while ago and I didn't bookmark it and had no idea how to get back to it. It is very cool to catch different species of trout, and it seems to take a subtle, well-trained eye to identify a lot of them.

If you come to the American east, we can try and get you (and me) a native brook trout.

opax said...

Writing down:
Native Brook Trout, Virginia, Ed.

Ed. said...

I better start doing some research then!

opax said...

:-)

Unless I win in lottery or something, it will take few years before I'll be there.

Anonymous said...

How about grayling? There are graylings in Finland?

- Mike - said...

Hi Opax, sorry for hi-jacking your comments, but I'm hereby passing the batton of self-discovery on to you, after Alistair over at The River Kelvin passed it to me. The point is you're supposed to make a post detailing 5 things about yourself that your excited blog reader's won't know. Feel free to ignore, or take part. Have a nice day mate.

opax said...

Jay: grayling - and whitefish as well - are good fish and they can be found here, and I also have them covered.

Mike: Ok, you asked for it...